Urges

So this weekend I was thinking a lot about urges, the different types and how to satisfy those urges. I know instantly most people that read this are thinking of physical urges or more predominately in today's society, sexual urges, but this is not what I'm talking about today. Today I have been thinking about psychological urges, the urges you think are physical at first until you realize that you can't satisfy them with food or with music or even with sex. Human contact like a hug, or an arm around your shoulder, or just a peaceful hand on your back, things like this are hard to figure out at first. How is it you go about satisfying these urges?

How does one go about requesting something that is supposed to be just natural. A hug is easy to request, but how do you ask someone to place their hand on your arm and not have it feel superficial? How do you ask someone to place their hand on your back so you can feel secure or comforted or even encouraged? These things happen when they happen, and yet after awhile one begins to yearn for these things, they get an urge for that feeling, like a drug addict having an urge for a high. Are these things so different?

It took me a lot of years to allow myself to let human contact effect me in such a way. When I was younger someone touching me really used to bother me, but as I got older I found comfort and friendship in the most simple of things. A buddy that bumps his shoulder into yours knocking you off your feet, a sign of two friends, things as simple as this. How does one find these things when their searching for them? How do you pass those urges along and out of your system when they become overwhelming and take over your mind?

A physical urge can be satisfied fairly easily, if you crave chocolate, you eat chocolate. If you crave ice cream, you find ice cream. But what about these psychological urges, where is it you find the satisfaction you are looking for? When do they go away?

These urges seem to strike at different times, sometimes in times of loneliness, other times it's during happy occasions, it's not a matter of depressed or happy, they are what they are. Thinking about this is not a scream for help, nor is it because I want someone here rubbing my back, it's so much more than any of that. How do I find the root of the issue? How do I go about satisfying these urges? and most of all, How do I prevent this from happening again?

Just some food for thought on a bright and sunny Monday morning. :)

Comments

  1. Well, you reap what you sow, right?

    Which means some day soon you will start to harvest the huge crop of love that you are sowing in the fields of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A promised update

Good things