God's flashing neon bilboards

Recently my prayer concerns have all been about the same thing, they all involve my struggle with my current job. It's not a bad job, it pays the bills and I've done worse, but I couldn't wrap my head around it and prayed a lot asking God if this is really where I'm supposed to be right now, is this really what I need to be doing? I've been struggling and asking him for a sign, something big, bright with flashy lights on it so I might get it.

All along it has been there, but it wasn't until tonight driving home from work that the answer just really hit me like a sock full of quarters unexpectedly when you turn a corner into a dark alley........too much?

Anyway I normally browse the blogs in my reader with the exception of a couple that I faithfully read the moment something gets posted. I normally just browse the headings and mark all as read unless something stands out to me. For some reason when I was browsing the headings the other day one of the headings called to me, I have no idea what made it jump out at me except maybe the force of God. The blog can be read here. SCL. For those of you that don't want to go read the blog post it is from Stuff Christians Like and talks about how impatient we get with God's plans and how we sometimes take matters into our own hands and leap without thinking about where we will land and so on and so forth. It really struck a chord with me.

Next was a conversation I overheard at work today. We have a temp supervisor while they train our new supervisor how we do our jobs (oh corporate America). The temp supervisor is an amazing person with a personality that could light a room up, but anyway I was on the phone and some girl from another department was over talking to him complaining about her job and the like and said the phrase "I didn't go to school and get a degree to answer phones." My supervisor changed his tone at that point and asked her if she thought she was the only one on the phones that had a college degree? He said the problem with her is that she'll answer phones until she gets tired of it and find another job in another company to complain about. I loved his comments, and then he continued....

"Take Pete over there as an example, he has a college degree he has a resume full of management experience as well, do you think he's happy taking calls? No, but he's going to do it, he's going to get to be the best and in a few months he'll move up and keep moving up until he finds something that he enjoys, or he will find what he's looking for somewhere else in the mean time, but he's not here complaining everyday about taking calls (he obviously doesn't hear me everyday. lol.) he does his work and has a goal, what's your goal?" She got quiet and then I didn't hear the rest of the conversation.

Sock full of quarters delivered to my face. I get it God, seriously I got it now. I am where I am for a reason right now and when the time is right something else will present it self and it will feel right and until that point I can't abandon this job. I have to work at it and play the game and see what it is that I need to be doing there. Perhaps it's not for me, perhaps I'm there to help someone else and who am I to stop that?

I promise God, I will be patient and not jump to any conclusions until I feel you pushing me there. Next time the neon lights would work, those socks full of quarters are really starting to hurt. ;)

Comments

  1. I am totally in love with your new boss! Okay, not really love, but I definitely like how he "gets" you without "knowing" you. That's a pretty good indicator of someone who is able to look past the reports on their desk and see what is *really* going on in the world around them!

    And how awesome to get such positive feedback! You may not be quite where you want to be career-wise, but it's always good to know that you're doing an excellent job in spite of it all, and that people are noticing!

    Now, if you could send one of those neon signs flickering this 'a way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all about those pesky signs and having to wait for timing... But- this is going to be our year, I just know it!!! Changes they are a coming- I am a very excited and a little bit freaked out. One day we will look back and understand the path laid out for us, one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A promised update

Good things